CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Leaving and Lonely


So I am home. It has taken me a couple of days to actually sit down and begin to share my stories. Some are easier to share than others. It was an amazing trip for sure. And I feel so very blessed to have had the opportunity to go. I thank all of you that helped make it possible by watching my children, praying for my family, and encouraging me to "take the plunge". It was a trip I will never forget and hope to repeat in the near future!!!


So I guess I begin at the airport. I know that doesn't sound like an exciting place to begin and ordinarily, I would have nothing to write about being in the airport. I have done this part of traveling dozens of times and have yet to find it very eventful. Of course, this time has not one, but two exceptions. I will tell of the journey home later. I was told to pack all my necessities on my carryon bag just in case the real luggage got lost. Sounded like great advise and I took it to heart.


I packed 3 outfits all inclusive of bras, socks, and underwear. I packed my medications, my toothbrush, my shampoo, conditioner, bug spray/sunscreen, face cleansers and creams, sanitizers, and more all in my carry on bag. Now those of you that have traveled more recently than I by plane already know where the problem lies. That is right- NO LIQUIDS on the plane. Not even the 2 bottles of water that were sealed and in my backpack. Nothing larger than 3.5 ounces and it all has to fit in a baggie.

Well my huband had already said his goodbye's and was on the way home and here I was, feeling more alone than ever as the airport security guard tosses all my toiletries, including my toothpaste, into the trash. I was informed in a very gruff manner that if I was going to Africa I should have had the foresight to look up the rules for the airport! As if that was what I was thinkin of prior to my departure.


It was as if I was punched in the gutt. The reality check was too sobering. I was all alone. I didn't know what I was doing. I had 2 days of flying ahead of me and I didn't even know once I landed how I was going to get to the guest house where I was staying and when my Kim would be showing up. I could not ask my husband how much money I should change at the stop in Germany. I could not hug him when I was scolding like a child from a crude airport guard. I could not turn to the distractions of rearing my children. It was what it was at this point and what it was - Was LONELY. I was about to board a plane and head for the opposite side of the world and I had to do it completely alone... I prayed. I reflected. When was the last time I was completely alone like this? Nearly 10 years ago was the answer... and I wasn't headed around the world. WOW! I really had gotten to a place of earthly dependency and I hadn't even realized to what extent.

I called J as I cried. I told him about Ms. Mean at the airport and how my comforts of home had been tossed into the trash like contraban. Just hearing his voice reaffirmed to me that I would be ok. I could do this.


I boarded the plane and at every stop, called home. I just needed to hear a voice of comfort and it spurred me on. 2 days later, the plane landed in my final destination. I just longed for three things- To see Kim, to take a warm shower, and to call J and let him know I was finally there! As you read on, you will see that 2 of three isn't too bad!

1 comments:

Joyce said...

jOk! I am up at 5am and cannot sleep... something told me to look up your blog... I am so excited to read about your stories! Miss you!

Joyce

P.S. the same thing just happened to me on my flight back to MI to my Grandmothers Funeral!:(