CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 6, 2009

The Rant- PS. Sorry it all starts here!

I have had a hard time getting back into the swing of things since our return from the great country of Ethiopia. I find myself feeling tired, sick, busy, and just kind of down. I don't want to come down on America, because I love America. But it is not the country today that it was intended to be back in 1787. When the Declaration of Independence was written, it was by men who had risked it all to stand for what was right. It was by people who had a vision of one nation, under God, and free from oppression. It was so that we, as Americans, could work hard, earn, and prosper. Today, I just feel so sad that we got it all backward. We prosper, work hard (most of us) and earn. But we have lived lives of EXPECTED prosperity. We only want the best, whether the best is what we can afford or not. So much so, that though we blame the banks for our current economy, that we, as American households, have overspent and underearned into unprecidented personal debt and subsequently, unprecidented national debt. I wonder how those that fought for our freedoms back then would feel about our choices today? And then, instead of owning the responsibility for our hardships, we ask why the government allowed this to happen. Don't get me wrong, there are REAL victims of this economy that could not have done anything differently to avoid their current hardships. Many, many people are in this situation. But it is their neighbors, not the government, that caused this. (Just my opinion.)

So here I sit, I have been home for over 2 weeks. I think of Africa every day, several times a day. I keep hearing my dear friend Fekadu tell me as we walked into his church that the whole corner of the church's land was seized by crooked officials in the government with no compensation. If you saw how much land we were talking about, it would make you as sick as it makes me. I hear Bicky, our super special friend and driver, tell stories about his protesting a fire set by the government when he was a young man to drive people out of the country and getting thrown into jail. He felt so defeated that at first, he acted out and landed in jail three times. Then he gave up his fight and has complacantly fallen in line like most other Ethiopians, knowing that their single voices are only squashed by the mighty government. I am angered for the people of Ethiopia, that they must go through so much to just survive, inspite of their government, in spite of the system. And here, we have a government that really is for us, and few of us really appreciate it. "I hate Obama." "The war sucks." "Our economy is in the dump and we are so poor." Statements of fact for many, yet also it shows how spoiled we are. First, we get to state our opinions without consequence. Second, we can't even begin to say we are poor. Third, of course war sucks. No one ever wants to kill others or die defending our nation... but complaining accomplishes nothing. I feel like we are so eager to put off the blame, to point fingers, to complain, etc... and what are we really willing to DO to change it?

So yes, today I am on my rampage. I don't know how else to begin telling about my trip... I suppose most sane people would begin with the arrival at the PHX airport. It just seems that in order for me to go back, I must first get off my chest what I feel now. Please don't feel as though I don't have empathy for where we are as a nation. I do. I get sick when I see our teachers losing their jobs. I see CPS not investigating allegations. I see hiring freezes and layoffs. I feel for these people. My family has been saved in many ways, and harmed in many others. My closest friends and extended family have all been hit hard. No one is without the effects of these times. There are MANY victims of our current circumstances. I am sad for where we are at- equally as sad for how we got here. Now I ask myself what can I do to help turn it around? How can I contribute to being a part of the solution, and not the problem? My heart is here, and in Africa. Both needed more than what I, just one woman, can do. I pray for miracles for two great nations and for an awakening of the people in both. That we, as Americans, can give more and expect less. That they, as Ethiopians, can continue to seek reform and mercy. That both nations, would fall on our knees in repentance for all we have and have not done and seek to live a life bound by Biblical morality.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN!!!!!!!

Very provacative...