CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Joni and Friends, Murrietta

So for those of you that don't know, my amazing church of NCC has sponsored our family to attend a family retreat for 5 days that caters to special needs families. It is called Joni and friends and is absolutely unbelievable. The staff is spectacular. We are hosted by the Calvary College in Murrietta, California. I have to say, if I could rewind the clock and go to college again, I wish I would have been at a place in my life to chose here. It really is exceptional. There are even natural hotsprings right on campus and their own lake with super friendly ducks! (Cole was very concerned that the ducks would get fed every day so that they would not go hungry.)

So what does a family do at camp? Well, there is a pretty packed program every day. It starts with a well balanced and freshly cooked breakfast. Then the parents go to groups sorted by age and the children do the same. While the kids are crafting, worshiping, and playing, the adults are being fed by pastors. Let me tell you, Pastor Bill is unlike any pastor that I have ever heard, in a good way. Really is a common sense guy and I wish that all could have heard his common sense approach to salvation and the validity of the Bible yesterday. Hard to deny the Lord with facts like that!

Anyway, after our morning programs we go back to lunch. Each special needs child is matched with a short term missionary so you have them caring for your children even during meal time. They are true servants and I feel so blessed to have their help while we are here. Fun activities are planned after lunch. Today we built bird houses and fed the ducks. Yesterday we had a water day in which there were really fun wet slides and rides and my children had their first snow cones, too! We even got to go in a hot air balloon yesterday. That was really something else.

We take the kids back to nap and Celia usually goes swimming at that time. Then we shower and head to dinner. The food is so good. REally good! Anyway, after dinner there is a family evening event. Yesterday it was a BBQ with an egg hunt and a balloon maker (WOW, was he good). Tonight was the talent show and end of the camp program (due to not so great behaviors from one of our kids, I have had to miss it! SO BUMMED.) The night before last we had a concert that was truly amazing! The kids got to dance on the stage which is super cute....

So what am I taking out of camp? I have grown even deeper in my faith. The Lord is so amazing. He is a God of miracles and a God of truth and I am so blessed to know Him as my Lord and savior. I am humbled by all that so many moms and dads go through every day with their children. I have met some incredibly strong people that really inspire me. I have met children that have such sweet souls. I desire to see things more through their eyes. I have also gained a deeper understanding for my own children and their individual needs. I knew I was coming to a camp with children with a lot greater needs than mine on the most part. I didn't know if I belonged here... what I have learned is that ALL of our children are unique and all delayed and specially challenged kids need to be seen for who they are, regardless of their abilities or lack their of. I belong here. My kids belong here. We have all taken a lot out of this experience to grow on and learn from. Thank you NCC and Joni and friends for really helping us to fully understand disabilities. Thannk you for a place to really relate!

2 comments:

beBOLDjen said...

Sounds like a truly refreshing time. I 'm so happy you were able to attend.

Taylor's said...

What an amazing opportunity!
And guess what... We live 2 miles from the Bible College - on the same street "Murrieta Hot Springs"! Hope you get to come again!

PS. I had no idea you have a blog. I'm adding you to my list of friends :)